A baptist church
It’s fair to say, if the walls at 3 Dawson Street, Ballarat, could talk, they would have plenty of stories to share.
They would tell tales of baptisms and weddings, fine dining, and nights of club partying. There have been all sorts of tenants. Until there were none.
While it started as a Baptist church it would eventually become the White House restaurant before being transformed into popular nightclub The Power Station in the 1980s. More business ventures followed before it became a haven for pigeons, rats, and possums – and the occasional human – after it was closed and abandoned.
The former Baptist Church was designed by Ballarat architect James Doane. Works started in 1866-67 and it was eventually completed externally in 1875-79. It remained in use as a church until 1972 before first being sold.